By adding fees to individual orders, it can be easier to reconcile. We recommend adding expenses in bulk when you match deposits. Adding expenses to orders will incorrectly record sales tax liability, therefore, you cannot use QuickBooks to track sales tax payable in some tax jurisdictions. Talk to your CPA prior to adding expenses to individual orders.
How do I add fees per order?
Here are the steps:
- Log into your Cloud Cart Connector account and click configure under an existing connection.
- Expand the Merchant Fees tab.
- Enter the Fee item Name in QuickBooks, the Fee Percent, and the Fee Cents to add on top of the fees. In this example, we will add 2.9% of the order plus thirty cents:
How do I change the fee percent, based on the payment method?
Two steps are required to change the fee percent, based on payment method.
1. At Merchant Fees on the configure page, add a default percent as a catch-all. For example, all orders except the ones with the rule will be 2.5%.
2. Add a rule to change the percent, here are the steps to add the rule:
- In Cloud Cart, select the settings drop down menu and click on Rules Engine
- Select the Action drop down menu and click Add New Rule
3. For each payment method, add a rule like this one:
How can I use a different QuickBooks item name for different types of fees?
Out of box, Cloud will use a single item for fees. The Fee Item Name can be found in Merchant Fees on the Cloud Cart configure page. You can use a different item name for different fee types.
In this example, we will create a rule to use merchant fees for all fees except PayPal:
How do I change the merchant percent, based on the billing address country?
The rule is the same as the payment method, except the field is order billing address country. Replace map to with the two letter abbreviation of the country.
How do I remove fees from certain payment methods, like PayPal?
In Merchant Fees, enter zero as the fee percent and fee cents. You must add a mapping for each payment method that includes the percent and fees to add. In this example, we will add 2.9% plus thirty cents for PayPal:
How do I charge different fees for PayPal outside of the U.S.?
You can append the payment method, if the country is not U.S. Once you add the rule, add the price mappings beneath; rules execute in the order entered into Cloud Cart Connector. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Cloud Cart rules engine.
- To append the payment method, add this rule. Make sure you add a space before NON-US.
- To add the 3.9% for PayPal, add this rule.
How do I ensure the rules I entered for fees are correct?
Connex has an order previewer, which can show you the values. Here are the steps:
- Login to Connex.
- Click configure.
- Go to the order previewer.
- Fill out the form.
- Click the second other tab.
You will see the merchant percent and merchant fee. Here is an example.
How should expenses be entered?
You should add expenses as a bill and payment in QuickBooks, if you get a bill. Go to vendors and select a vendor. Click new > bill. Create a payment.
You can enter credit card fees in the bank deposits area > add new deposits area as a negative number, if orders go into bank deposits.
What happens if I enter fees per order?
Here is an order from QuickBooks with credit card fees. The fees credit the Cost of Goods Sold account:
The profit and loss looks fine:
This is a sales tax liability report. The gross sales should say $100 instead of $97.10:
You must report your gross sales, taxable and non taxable sales to the state & municipal taxing agencies using another method.